Monday, July 30, 2012

The Main Event

Of course I started with a picture of Peyton, if anyone knows me, they know I enjoy the Denver Broncos a little bit.  On to some serious talk though. Who to take and when to take them.  I am in a keeper league so I am currently looking at QBs in a different light (I am also very biased and have trouble separating). But, if I'm not in a keeper league here's how I view the pool.

I am a high buyer on Peyton Manning, but I also like to take high risks that don't always work out for me.  But at best, I wouldn't think to pick him until the 3rd round. He will still be there.  There are 4, maybe 5 QBs that are worth taking in the 1st round. If you don't get these QBs, fill other important positions like RB until the second.

1st Round Quarterbacks: (The Obvious Ones)
Tom Brady - No brainer
Drew Brees - Better play for the money he just made
Aaron Rodgers - will be tops until he decides to take a dive
Matthew Stafford - With Megatron and his arm, Madden curse or not, someone will always be open for him
Eli Manning (Maybe) - After his last season, how can you pass on him

2nd Rounders:
Cam Newton - Not sold, Rookie luck, but I think he can still produce and put up big fantasy points
Tony Romo - has 2 diesel wide outs in Dez and Miles and one of the best tight ends in the league.
Matt Ryan - Also has 2 rediculous Wideouts in Julio and Roddy(Yes I am on a first name basis with all WRs) and no running game, so he has to throw the ball this year.
Joe Flacco - Has a huge chip on his shoulder, I look for him to have a big season.
Ryan Fitzpatrick - Had a good season going last year and has the arsenal to do it again

3rd Rounders:
Matt Shaub - with a healthy Andre Johnson, BIG numbers
Josh Freeman - Tampa has upgraded their team with drafting Doug Martin and adding Vincent Jackson and Dallas Clark can only help a decent QB put up good fantasy numbers.
Alex Smith - Could have the best season out of any QB. I'm not sold on the 49ers but I am sold on Smith being a winner.
Peyton Manning - Has the BIGGEST chip on his shoulder and is out to prove he is better than his little brother. Not being bias here, I think the Broncos make a run at the promise land and can only do that with a BIG season from Peyton.

4th Round: filled with unproven or might bes
Michael Vick - I would stay away altogether, but some seem to think the Eagles are going to be something special this year.
Andy Dalton - can be really good. not sure he is ready yet and needs some roster spots filled around him.
Matt Flynn - Showed promise last year, but with arguably the best offense in the league (I could be QB on the Packers)
Matt Hasselback - always puts up good numbers

If you don't get a QB in the first 3 rounds, you better have an arsenal of high scoring RBs and WRs.  There are a few hidden gems in the draft for later though that could be good picks.

Andrew Luck - The obvious one
Roger Griffin III - the other obvious one

I try to stay away from rookie QBs but I did that last year and missed out on Cam Newton.

Kevin Kobb - Should succeed with Larry Fitz
John Skelton - if Kobb fails with Larry Fitz
Carson Palmer - could be a late round steal if you decide to skip over QBs for a while


A couple to stay away from

Mark Sanchez - Hopefully will be passed by Tebow
Whoever starts for the Dolphins
Christian Ponder - Vikings  suck with a healthy or unhealthy AP
Blaine Gabbert - will need time to grow with Blackmon but could be a good tandem in a couple years

Matt Cassel - Eh
Sam Bradford - Won't be passing very much with a healthy Steven Jackson around


I'm sure I missed a couple Gems but this makes sense to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment