Sunday, July 15, 2012

Competitive Wiffle Ball

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of competing in an organized wiffle ball tournament for the first time in my life, hard to believe since I used to be so good at the "beer in hand, trash talking, homerun derby" style of wiffle ball. The tourney I attended was the Lincoln Homecoming Wiffle Ball Tournament (home page of tournament) which is run by my friend Jason Clay.  All money raised went to the local Lincoln recreation department.

In doing this tournament, I learned a few things: I'm not as good at pitching as I used to be (apparently if you take a few years off, you forget how to pitch), Fast pitching helped teams win (movement of the pitch helped a lot as well), not everyone just uses the standard yellow bat anymore and, finally, WOW AM I SORE TODAY; most likely from the lack of activity I have in my life.  Literally can't even walk today. 

It was interesting to see the rules and everyones honesty to the rules, there were no umpires so each game was trusted to the teams involved to make the right calls. This current tournament is 16 years in the making and most of the competitors have competed for all the years so they were mostly on the same page.  It was a fun, competitive atmosphere.  The team I was invited to play on, the Long Balls, did pretty making to the second round of tournament play losing to the "Master Batters" a fast pitching squad we couldn't hit off of... therefore had no runs and few base runners. The eventual winners of the tournament were "Warning Track Power" 
Congratulations! The weather was great, it was amazingly organized, stats were all recorded and should be available on their website at some point (the link I provided above).  This is something I hope to be lucky enough to compete in next year ( if the team will have me back) I will be working on my pitching all summer/winter and vow to be able to help my team more than last time! 

There is also another tournament coming up soon in August ran by one Wayne Harvey of WABI.  This one is Wiffle for a wish and has grown fast in the current years. I am assuming most of the teams who are involved with this past tournament are attending this one as well. I don't currently have a team or any prospects for a team but if anyone needs the help of a very mediocre player, I am your man. I will at least be attending to see what it is all about. And I will for sure be back to Lincoln next year. Thanks to all involved and congratulations if you scored a limited edition autographed photo of "The Annexation of Puerto Rico" I hear they are valuable.  

I also believe there is still time to sign up for the up and coming wiffle tournament in Bangor. GET ON IT!! all proceeds benefit the Make a Wish Foundation. here is a link to the official page.

No comments:

Post a Comment