Sunday, August 5, 2012

Olympic HIghlights

I am officially on Vacation with my Wife (soon to be kid) and the rest of my family.  It hit when i had my iphone on the NBCOlympics app watching the 1500m finals...at the beach...getting my tan on, and the occasional swim myself. Although I'd rather have swam in a pool than the ocean. I wanted to be able to touch on some Olympics before it was over so I didn't totally ignore this wonderful event that only takes place every 2 years (if you count the Winter ones). I wanted to first congratulate NBC on the intense coverage through Mobile, web and TV. The coverage (while I haven't been a huge fan of the commentary) has been the best since I have been alive, thanks in part to the growth of technology in my young life.  I haven't been able to watch as much as I have in the past because I have to work during the week, but this year I have broadened the types of sports I have watched

Usually I stuck to the Gymnastics, Track & Field, Swimming, diving, Beach Volleyball.  This year I have watched the likes of Archery, Judo, Badminton, Canoe/Kayak, Handball, Water Polo, Shooting, Tennis, Sailing, Equestrian, as well as my usually favorites I already listed.  While my favorite sport has just got underway, in case you haven't watched any Olympics I wanted to touch on some USA highlights and low lights so far.

Highlights:
Michael Phelps becomes the winningest Olympian ever with 22 Medals (18 of which Gold)
Serena Williams wins gold by crushing Maria Sharapova in the finals
Dana Vollmer Gold Medals
U.S. team nabs Silver behind Great Britain in Cycling
15 Year Old Katie Ledecky takes home gold in the Women's 800m freestyle
Missy Franklin wins gold and sets a world record for the 200m Backstroke
The one MIANER Elle Logan was part of the US Women's Crew Gold medalists
Gabby Douglas wins gold in both individual and team all-around gymnastics competitions
USA Mens basketball beats Nigeria by 83 points, more points than Nigeria actually scored
Kayla Harrison makes history by winning Gold for the first time ever in Judo for USA
Rebecca Soni sets the 200m Breaststroke world record by 2.5 seconds in a Gold Medal win

I am sure I have missed some events, sorry I didn't mention a bunch of Badmintoners getting kicked out for losing on purpose...wait I just did. There are still some sweet stories out there for the next week.

I am unbelievably excited for the 100m Mens dual between Usain Bolt and Justin Gaitlin to see who is the fastest man in the world.  as well as every other track event.  Although I refuse to watch the Mens basketball, I will still keep an eye and see if they can step up and prove they are better than 1992. Still a week of greatness to be had.  Although John Isner was kicked out, the Andy Murray Roger Federer finals tennis I believe will be a match for the ages.

What a great thing to have take our minds off the bad in the world right now.  Olympics couldn't have had better timing if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment