Friday, August 17, 2012

AFC North Projections

Now I have been very conservative with my first projections to get into the swing of things.  Not in this league. I see 2 very good team, a decent team, and a very bad team.

Baltimore Ravens - 12-4
Pittsburgh Steelers - 12-4
Cincinnati Bengals - 6-10
Cleveland Browns - 3-13

Let's start with the Ravens.  They have a chip on their shoulder every year because everyone thinks the Steelers are the best in the division. So far they have been.  With Flacco out to prove his worth, the Ravens will be the team to beat this year.  I see them only losing to the Patriots, Steelers once, Broncos and Texans. With an old, but dependable defense, and the top producing RB in the league (Ray Rice), They are built to beat the real easy teams and be dangerous for the Patriots and Steelers and Texans (I'd say the three favorites in the AFC).  I think this can be the Ravens year to go deeper than they have recently in the playoffs.

Next stop Pittsburgh.  The steelers are a proven winning team with a born winner at QB and the toughest D in the league..STILL.  With and easier schedule this year, I expect Big Ben (I call him that because I forget how to spell his last name) will have the breakout year numbers wise we have been waiting for.  Mike Wallace and a solid #2 in Antonio Brown will help him produce, as well as a healthy Rashard Mendenhall. They have tended to have trouble with scoring against the easier teams in the past, if they do that this year they are in trouble.  Their must wins: week 2 vs. Jets, week 3 vs. Raiders, weeks 5-10 against the Eagles, Titans, Bengals, Redskins, and Chiefs.  The Steelers could go 14-2 if the start 7-2 in the first 10 weeks. They have a very easy schedule down the stretch which should allow them to rest some key players here and there and push them for home field advantage through out playoffs.

The Cincinnati Bengals are so close to being a 12-4 team with the Ravens and Steelers.  Losing a productive back in Cedric Benson I think hurts their chances a lot. Andy Dalton surprised everyone last year, I hope he can keep up the mojo with his Sophomore partner in crime in A.J. Green.  If their defense plays as good as it did last year (and is on my fantasy team again), I can see a change in their record a little bit, but I think the Ravens and Steelers are still a little to good. Next year I can see a little shift in the powers in this league.  If they start out strong with an easy first 6 weeks, they can contend for the final play off spot with other 8-8 teams in the league.

Now for the lowly Cleveland Browns.  I had a very hard time giving this team 3 wins.  Looking back at their schedule, it is one of the toughest. or it just looks that way because they don't have a good defense, drafted a 28 year old QB, and their star rookie already has had 2 knee surgeries this year.  Trent Richardson will have high production games, which will drag them to winning 3 times this year, but I look for him to start his career much like Darren McFadden, fast, btu won't finish the whole year out. I can see them beating the Bengals once, and Maybe steeling one from a playoff bound team in mid season games like the Cowboys or Raiders.

When healthy and playing to potential, the Steelers and Ravens are two of the top 8 teams in the whole league and will be out to win the championship this year. As for the Bengals, next year is best...and the Browns....In a couple years (Work on that Defense!)

The much anticipated AFC East is next on the docket.


No comments:

Post a Comment